Saturday, December 16, 2006

Momoya's for tasty sushi

570 N Shoreline Blvd
Mountain View, CA
650-967-6166
$$

Now I'm pretty picky about my sushi, meaning that ever since I went to Tokyo, it's been really hard to top the excellent fish and presentations I experience there. Miyake's hasn't cut it at all and it's extremely painful to go to an expensive sushi restaurant in the Bay Area knowing you could be eating much better food for much less in Japan.

I think that I've found the perfect balance between price and appetite in Momoya Sushi. Located a short drive from Stanford campus, Kara and Chris had been telling me to go there for ages, but it's something that's always fallen off my radar screen. Luckily, with finals over and everyone heading home, Kara organized a group outing to Momoyas.

The food: plentiful, tasty, and reasonably price. I got some nice cuts of sashimi and shrimp tempura, along with miso soup and a salad for $15. I also got a "Dynamite" Roll, one of their many specialty rolls - this one was deep fried tuna sushi. The roll I got came with 6 pieces and they were quite large; well worth the $6. There was a mix of food in our 8 person group - from beef katsu to chicken domburi to numerous rolls. Ahh, so about those rolls. Each roll came with 6 to 8 pieces and the chefs did not hold back on using large pieces of fish, avocado, crab, etc to make them. Really fresh ingredients and presented nicely on traditional Japanese dishes.

Besides the excellent food, I found the service quick excellent. Tom jokingly said that he would storm out of the restaurant and go to Jack-n-the-Box across the street if the waitress did not greet us by saying "Konbawa." Even though she didn't, he stayed and enjoyed himself and the waitress proved to be extremely nice, filling our water consistently and also giving us some salmon skin rolls on the house. Definitely one of the best sushi restaurants I've been to around the area. You can spend $15-20 and be sufficiently full!

1 comment:

Manno said...

Funny blog!!! Merry christmas and a happy new year!!!